Thursday, April 9, 2009

Sweeney Todd...

...The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

Instead of attending Holy Thursday services as I should have, I instead went with a friend to see a national touring company's production of "Sweeney Todd" at Indianna University of Pennsylvania. A man, wrongfully imprisoned, returns to London to seek revenge by killing people in his barber's chair. His friend, Mrs. Lovett, then uses their meat to make potpies to sell to unsuspecting London citizens.

I loved it!! A bizarre, dark, witty and moody comedy/thriller set against catchy show tunes.

My friend Terri hated it. She didn't actually say she hated it, but did keep calling it "different" which loosely translated means "I thought it sucked." I thought for sure she would want to hightail it out of there during intermission, but she stuck it out; I think for my sake because she knew I was really into it.

I would also like to someday rent the movie. There is a British version and also one with Johnny Depp. Maybe I'll see them both. I like the theme: if the world does you wrong, then do wrong to the world.

Something certain people would do well to remember if they want to give me grief about missing church services.

Just sayin'.

1 comment:

Jaimie Sebastianelli said...

I think I got your dark sense of humor. :) You were always a little twisted-- and I loved that about you! Cory and I took 30 kids to see Sweeney Todd last year, right around the time that the movie came out. Good times!

(This is Jaimie. I don't know if it will come up as Miss Sebastianelli or not!)